There are two types of Extended Service Plans available to consumers; Exclusionary Plans and Named Component Plans. There is a fundamental difference in how these plans address coverage.
1. Exclusionary Plan: Coverage with this plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty on a new vehicle. It covers all mechanical and electrical components for the term of the contract, except the items listed as “excluded” or “not covered.”
Instead of inserting a long list of parts and components that are covered, an Exclusionary Plan simply lists the limited parts or components that are not covered. Exclusions include vehicle maintenance items, such as oil change, tires, light bulbs, brake pads, and interior or exterior accessories or finishes.
The AAA Exclusionary Plan is available for vehicles that are at least 12 model years old and have less than 80,000 miles on the odometer at the time the plan is purchased. Coverage terms are available in increments of 1 month or 1,000 miles for up to 7 years and 130,000 miles.
2. Named Component Plans: This plan is just the opposite of an Exclusionary Plan. Under a Named Component Plan, the individual covered parts and components are listed by name within the contract. If the part or component is not listed by name, it is not covered.
AAA’s Named Component Plan is available in three levels of coverage, and is available on vehicles up to 20 model years old with 149,000 miles or less on the odometer at the time the plan is purchased. Coverage terms are available in increments of 30 days or 1,000 miles for up to 5 years and 230,000 miles.
- Essential Plus
The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan provides a host of benefits to AAA Members that are unique to this program. These benefits include:
- Disappearing Deductible: The standing deductible on all AAA VESP is $100. The $100 Deductible will be reduced to $50 when the plan holder has their covered Vehicle repaired at a AAA Approved Repair (AAR) Facility and reduced to $0 (zero) if repaired at a AAA Club Owned Repair (COR) facility.
- Substitute Transportation: For any approved claim, the plan holder is automatically entitled to a two (2) day rental car reimbursement up to $35.00 per day, up to a maximum of five (5) days per occurrence. No deductible will apply to this benefit.
- Trip Interruption: In the event that a Breakdown of a covered part occurs more than one hundred (100) miles from the plan holder’s home and results in a repair facility keeping the covered vehicle overnight, the plan holder will reimbursed up to seventy five dollars ($75.00) per day for a maximum of three (3) days for receipted lodging and restaurant expenses incurred between the date of the Breakdown and the date on which the repairs are completed. The total benefit per occurrence shall not exceed two hundred and twenty five dollars ($225.00). No deductible will apply to this benefit.
- Emergency Claim “Self” Authorization: Should an emergency occur which requires a Breakdown repair be made of any covered part at a time when the Administrator’s office cannot be contacted, the plan holder may authorize repair service up to $500.
- Anti-Theft Etch: Provided as a separate ancillary plan the Anti-Theft Etch deters thieves and if the covered vehicle is stolen and not recovered within 30 days or if the covered vehicle is recovered within 30 days and declared a total loss the plan holder is entitled to a $1,000 benefit.
*Anti-Theft Etch coverage will be mailed to the purchaser under separate envelope 36 month coverage regardless of VESP contract term
NOTE: Anti-Theft Etch coverage not available to residents of CT and FL.
The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan program is underwritten by WesCo Insurance Company. WesCo Insurance is a A.M. Best Company “A” Rated insurer.
About A.M. Best:
A.M. Best Company was founded in 1899, and is a full-service credit rating organization dedicated to serving the insurance industry. Policyholders refer to Best’s ratings and analysis as a means of assessing the financial strength and creditworthiness of risk-bearing entities.
The Third Party Administrator for AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plans is Accelerated Service International, Inc.(ASI).
Mailing address: PO Box 852770, Richardson, TX 75085
Claims and Administration Office phone number: (855) 292.9306
Business Office phone number: (800) 242.7316
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan secure?
The AAA VESP contracts are underwritten by Wesco Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of AmTrust Financial Group, an A.M. Best A-rated (excellent) company. For more information go to www.amtrustgroup.com
or call 212.220.7120 or fax 212.220.7130.
- Why should I choose a AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan over other mechanical breakdown plans?
An A.M. Best Company “A” Rated insurer underwrites the AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan. AAA carefully researched the program Underwriter, Administrator and coverages to ensure the highest level of integrity and credibility. AAA analyzed the prices to ensure the plans are priced competitively based on the comparable coverage. AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plans provide wide verity of coverage, simple claims processing, and the deductible will be reduced by 50% when covered repairs are completed at a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility throughout the US and Canada. Extended coverage is available up to 7 years and 230,000 miles (based on the coverage plan selected). Each plan is customized to meet the driver’s specific driving habits in increments of 30-days and 1,000 miles.
- Why buy it now? My vehicle still has the manufacturer’s warranty coverage.
Purchasing long-term coverage today is less expensive than it will be in the future. Think of a AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan like health insurance for your vehicle. The older your vehicle is, the more expensive the coverage becomes. As your vehicle ages and accrues mileage, the price for coverage will increase and some coverage will become unavailable.
- My vehicle is out of the manufacturer’s warranty; am I eligible for coverage?
Levels of coverage are based on vehicle age and odometer miles at the time coverage is purchased. Coverage eligibility extends up to 20 model years and 150,000 miles. Maximum coverage terms extend up to 7 years and 230,000 miles (based on the coverage plan selected). Each plan is customized to meet the driver’s specific driving habits in increments of 30-days and 1,000 miles.
- Where can I take my vehicle for repairs?
You may take your vehicle to any state licensed repair facility in the United States or Canada. However, we recommend you take your vehicle to a AAA Approved Auto Repair (AAR) or a AAA Club Owned Repair (COR) facility. The standard deductible per approved claim is $100. If you return the covered vehicle to an AAR the deductible is reduced to $50 and to $0 if returned to a COR.
- How do I file a claim?
Take the covered vehicle, or have it towed, to the nearest state licensed repair facility, AAR or COR. Notify the facility that the vehicle is covered by a AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan. After diagnosing the problem, make sure the repair facility contacts the Administrator at our toll-free number (located at the bottom of each page of the AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan agreement) to obtain repair authorization before beginning any work. Repair authorization must be obtained prior to initiating repair work. If prior authorization is not obtained, your claim will not be honored. When repairs are complete and the repair facility has notified the Administrator that you have accepted the repairs, the repair facility will receive direct payment, less the deductible, via our corporate credit card, which eliminates unnecessary paperwork for you.
- Does a AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan cover parts and labor?
The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan contract covers 100% of all parts and labor associated with the repair of a covered part or component.
- What is my deductible?
The standard deductible per approved claim is $100. If you return the covered vehicle to a AAA Authorized Auto Repair (AAR) facility the deductible is reduced to $50 and if the covered vehicle is returned to a AAA Club Owned Repair (COR) facility the deductible is reduced to $0.
- How can I be sure my future claims will be paid?
The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan contracts are underwritten by Wesco Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of AmTrust Financial Group, an A.M. Best A-rated (excellent) company. For more information go to amtrustgroup.com or call 212.220.7120 or fax 212.220.7130.
- Do you offer a payment plan?
Yes, AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan provides a zero interest payment plan. Minimum 10% down payment required with payment terms up to 24 months.
- Is it safe to enroll online using my credit card?
We use the strongest encryption available on the Internet and are VeriSign-certified. Areas that require entering credit card information are on a Secure Website and your credit card information is encrypted prior to transmission using 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Technology.
- Can I buy this same type of coverage through a dealership?
Similar coverage is available through franchise automotive dealers. However, the exact coverage is not available through any channel other than AAA. The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan includes unique coverage options and member benefits not available in any other plan. AAA encourages its members to research alternative options. When purchasing similar coverage through a dealership, you may be required to return the vehicle to the dealer to obtain service. With AAA, you have the freedom to go to any AAA Approved Auto Repair facility or licensed repair shop across the United States and Canada.
- Will service facilities be willing to repair my vehicle under my AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan?
Most reputable repair facilities will honor repair work covered by a AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan. The plan pays the repair facility retail for parts and labor based on standard industry pricing guides, and the repair facility receives payment via a corporate credit card as soon as the repair is complete. Repair facilities are familiar with mechanical breakdown protection plans and they know they can trust AAA.
- Am I eligible for a refund if I cancel my AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan?
AAA wants to make sure each of its members is completely satisfied with their mechanical breakdown protection plan purchase and offers a Money Back Guarantee with every plan sold. If you are not completely satisfied with your plan within the first 60 days (30 days for pre-owned vehicles) and have not filed a claim, you will receive a 100 percent refund, no questions asked. After 60 days (30 days for pre-owned vehicles), you are entitled to a pro rata refund of the unused portion of your plan based on the plan purchase date. A $50 cancellation fee may apply depending on state regulations.
- What happens to my coverage if I trade-in my vehicle?
When you purchase a plan, you have coverage throughout the term of your plan. If you decide to trade-in your vehicle, simply call us and we will calculate a pro-rated refund. The plan is not transferable to a Dealer.
- If I sell my vehicle, is my AAA coverage transferable?
Your vehicle may be worth more in market value when potential buyers know it includes AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan coverage. You may transfer your coverage to a private purchaser. A $50 transfer fee may apply depending on state regulations. If you sell or trade-in your vehicle to an automobile dealer, you can cancel your plan and receive a pro rata refund for the unused portion.
- I am not a AAA member. Can I still get a AAA Repair Assurance Plan?
The AAA Vehicle Extended Service Plan is available exclusively to AAA members.