AAA Travel bookings reveal top summer vacation destinations
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (May 1, 2018) – Thousands of Carolinians are gearing up for summer vacations both domestically and internationally. While many plan to visit sandy beaches, others are looking for adventure in National Parks and even abroad.
The climb in gas prices has not deterred vacationers from driving to their destinations. Nearly 64 percent of those planning a family trip are expected to hit the roads this year. Carolinians will most likely be paying some of the highest gas prices in four years. Prices throughout the Carolinas could potentially increase another 5 to 10 cents through Memorial Day and most likely stabilize during the summer. However, if demand spikes, prices could too.
“We don’t expect higher gas prices to keep Carolinians from taking summer vacations,” said Tiffany Wright, AAA Carolinas spokesperson. “This is shaping up to be another banner season for travel as vacationers are making plans to relax at the beach, explore new cities, adventure through state parks and get lost in the culture of a new country.”
The top five drive destinations based on AAA Carolinas TripTiks from June 1 through August 15 are:
- Charleston, SC
- Las Vegas
- Myrtle Beach
- New Orleans
The top five leisure travel destinations based on AAA Carolinas Travel bookings for flights from June 1 through August 15 are:
- National Parks
Summer Travel Tips
AAA’s travel experts offer their top tips for travelers planning summer vacations, including:
- Plan ahead – Book early for the best deals and availability on hotels, airfare, car rentals and more.
- Work with a travel agent – Travel agents often have access to extra amenities and added benefits to help plan the perfect summer vacation. They can also be a tremendous help in the event something changes or goes wrong on your trip.
- Be flexible – If your schedule permits, avoid traveling during peak times this summer, including Memorial Day weekend and around Independence Day, to encounter less congestion and fewer crowds.
- Safety first – If driving, get plenty of rest before setting out on your road trip. Schedule breaks every two hours or 100 miles to remain alert and avoid driving drowsy.
- Make sure your vehicle is road trip ready – Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out. Pack an emergency kit that includes a mobile phone and car charger, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, a basic toolkit, and drinking water and snacks for all passengers.
- Pack your patience – Summer is one of the busiest travel times of the year. Expect heavy crowds and allow plenty of time to get to your destination safely.
For more information and to begin planning a trip, visit AAA.com/Travel.
AAA Carolinas, an affiliate of the American Automobile Association, is a not-for-profit organization that serves more than 2.1 million member and the public with travel, automobile and insurance services while being an advocate for the safety and security of all travelers.
For up-to-date information, follow our Instagram and Twitter accounts. For more seasonal traffic safety information, sign up to receive our monthly traffic safety newsletter. Each month includes five timely articles dedicated to keeping Carolinians safe and informed on the roads.