MOVE IT OR LOSE IT: AAA CAROLINAS URGES MOTORISTS TO MOVE VEHICLES TO HIGH GROUND
TIPS TO HELP AVOID CAR FLOOD DAMAGE FROM DORIAN
|CHARLOTTE, N.C. (September 4, 2019) With the threat of Hurricane Dorian impacting the Carolinas, AAA is urging motorists to move their vehicles to higher ground to avoid flood damage. Approximately 48 percent of Carolinians have auto insurance policies that don’t cover flood damage.
“We want to be as prepared as possible for the potential threat of Hurricane Dorian,” said AAA Carolinas President and CEO Dave Parsons. “Carolinians should first secure their family and homes, but then need to relocate their vehicles to safer grounds. Many times vehicles can be saved and spared from major damage with a little preparation. Find higher ground. Move it or lose it.”
Over the last few years, millions of vehicles have been destroyed from hurricanes due to flood damage.
“Protecting your car is something Carolinians need to take seriously because it is difficult to start the rebuilding process after a hurricane without a means of transportation,” added Parsons.
AAA Carolinas recommends the following tips to help protect vehicles during a storm:
- Locate higher ground near your home and park your car there.
- Find a deck or garage that offers cover to protect your car from wind damage.
- Avoid leaving your car under power lines or trees.
- Make sure there are proper documentation and insurance papers stored in your car (preferably in a zip lock bag or waterproof location).
- Use flood covers. There are many waterproof flood covers you can purchase from auto part stores that have shown good results in protecting cars from water damage.
**AAA Carolinas has created a site with all of its safety information, the latest evacuation updates and storm information in one place. Please direct people to carolinas.aaa.com/emergency for hurricane information.
|AAA Carolinas, an affiliate of the American Automobile Association, is a not-for-profit organization that serves more than 2.2 million member and the public with travel, automobile and insurance services while being an advocate for the safety and security of all travelers.