Charlotte, N.C. (May 8, 2020) – As some states begin to make plans to re-open businesses and stay-at-home orders are slowly being lifted, now is a good opportunity for AAA to remind drivers about the importance of car care maintenance.
“It’s important that during these times when your car has been parked for an extended period of time, to make sure the vehicle stays in good running condition,” said Tiffany Wright, AAA spokesperson. “A lot of cars have been at a standstill lately due to stay-at-home orders so it’s imperative to prep your vehicles before getting back on the road.”
If your car hasn’t hit the road in a while, AAA encourages you to take these simple steps to keep you and your vehicle safe:
- Don’t short change a short trip. Drive your vehicle(s) once a week to ensure the battery stays properly charged, even if that means just around the corner.
- Gas goes a long way. Keep your gas tank level at three-fourths or full. Full tanks provide less space for air and help minimize the possibility of condensation.
- Fluid situation. Check oil, brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid and windshield washer fluid. Replace or refill as needed by consulting your owner’s manual.
- Under pressure. Check the tire pressure and fill, as needed, to the proper inflation amount located inside the driver’s door.
- Road trip ready. As an added precaution, consider taking your vehicle to a AAA Car Care for service. Make sure to call first for shop hours and procedures for bringing in a car for service.
If you do find that your car won’t start once you’re ready to go, AAA offers mobile battery service, which will 1) come to wherever you are located 2) perform a diagnostic test of your electrical system 3) replace your battery on the spot if needed – all while observing social distancing guidelines.
About AAA – The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 60 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.